Last updated on May 26th, 2023 at 10:00 am
In the modern application development industry, it is impossible to imagine the development process without the involvement of automation testing. This happens because the applications have already crossed the phase when all the elements could be checked with complete manual testing. Moreover, complete manual test cases would take many months to finish the application testing process.
Therefore, the developers haven’t any desire however to integrate automation checking out in their utility improvement lifecycle. Moreover, there are numerous varieties of testing that developers need to conduct to provide the pleasant stop-person revel in. End-to-End Testing is one of these check instances that are especially vital.
With this article, you will understand all the factors you should observe approximately end-to-stop testing. We will also speak a number of the maximum commonplace barriers at the same time as appearing stop-to-quit testing.
These test cases analyze the performance of the application based on the workflow. This means that app testers can simulate a user workload on an application while verifying the performance of various technical and functional parts.
In simple terms, we can justify end-to-end testing as a test case in which the computer pretends to be a real user and access an application. These test cases are highly essential to put a specific load on the application and analyze its behavior to check for any abnormality. Using these test cases, the developers can ensure that the application is ready to be released to the end users.
Front-end test cases help the developers verify an application’s functional aspects and features properly.
On the other hand, quit-to-cease test instances are crucial to ensure that those capabilities and functions are available to the cease users.
Using stop-to-cease test instances, builders can verify not handiest the person performance of all of the additives of an utility however additionally make sure stable performance when combined. In simple terms, these test cases help to verify whether any new update to the application hampers the working of the previous components. So, we can easily say that end-to-end test cases are significant for frequently updating applications.
End-to-End Testing is indeed crucial, considering the complexity of modern applications. But the lengthy procedure of end-to-end testing gives rise to various drawbacks and obstacles during the test execution phase.
So, new developers want to be aware about the important drawbacks to be had at the same time as acting end-to-cease testing:
- The execution velocity of quit-to-quit trying out is considerably slower than all the other testing methods. So, we are able to effortlessly say that give up-to-quit checking out is one among the biggest boundaries in the direction of continuous improvement and non-stop integration (CI/CD). This is due to the fact the slow execution pace of stop-to-give up testing makes it almost not possible to collaborate with the development and testing group. Moreover, the slow execution speed can also drain the patience of a human developer and reduce his efficiency.
- Many experts believe that end-to-end test cases are tough to maintain, error-prone, and expensive. Therefore, application development companies need a proper idea about these test cases before beginning their execution. Moreover, all the errors present in the end-to-end test cases arise due to the complex debugging processes. As a developer, your aim must be to create test cases that assist you and not hinder your performance and ability.
- Flaky test cases are often considered one of the biggest nightmares in the life of an automation tester. Flaky test cases are often defined as those testing processes that are conducted in the same process but output a completely different result. These errors can also arise when the app developers fail to properly analyze the capabilities of the elements they are currently testing. So, end-to-end testers need to have a definite idea about the application undergoing the testing process.
Indeed, the integration of automation checking out and quit-to-cease testing can hugely gain the take a look at execution capabilities of an app development organisation. However, it is also vital for the developers to recall that it’s miles presently not possible to dispose of the want for manual test cases. This is due to the fact there are certain factors of an software that are almost impossible to test without the involvement of an skilled human tester. We can use the example of two take a look at instances to justify this:
- An exploratory test case is a test case that verifies that the components of an application are working properly when combined. The developers must access the application like a regular user to verify this test case. Moreover, with these test cases, the developers can verify the influence of various physical changes on the functioning of an application. Automated test cases generally ignore these factors.
- Visual testing is a process of checking the correct position of all the User Interface components present in an application. These elements comprise multiple media components like images, videos, and GIFs. The developers must ensure that the elements maintain their position irrespective of changes in display resolution and screen size. So, it is almost impossible to perform these testing processes without the involvement of an experienced human eye.
Considering the above examples, the best practice is to maintain the proper balance between automation testing and manual testing. It is also essential for the testers to plan all these test cases during the test planning phase. This is one of the best practices to avoid any unwanted surprises during the application development lifecycle.
Pitfalls to Avoid While Conducting End-to-End Testing
Now let’s discuss three of the most common yet major pitfalls that developers must avoid while conducting end-to-end testing:
Many app developers try to introduce complex end-to-end automated test cases before learning the basics. This is one of the massive pitfalls as it can completely crash the application development process.
So, we recommend the developers begin this process by reading the proper documentation, trying sample test cases, and then beginning with the basics. There are various tech blogs that provide multiple sample test cases to learn the basics of end-to-end testing.
Measuring the success of an app is a fundamental and essential process. However, the developers need to use proper parameters to measure it. Experts believe that User Workflow Coverage is the best metric to measure the success of End-to-End Test cases.
This coverage measures the total user interaction on your app. Some of the standard parameters measured by user workflow coverage are how many times a password is changed on an application and how often the user interacts with various elements on the user interface.
Automation testing can be very simple to run however the developers must ensure that they verify the long-term success of automation test cases. One of the common errors is assigning automation test cases to certain testers that do not have proper technical knowledge.
Automation testing requires proper collaboration between the development and testing teams. So, for its successful execution, the testers need to have at least the basic knowledge of the application that is undergoing the development process.
While performing cease-to-stop checking out, the developers need to ensure that each one these features are demonstrated on a couple of devices. This is due to the fact the current tool market is various, which include diverse structures like computers, smartphones, capsules, or even smartwatches. So, it is almost impossible for an application development company to alienate any segment of this industry based on device incompatibility.
However, it is also challenging for small companies and individual creators to maintain a physical device testing lab. This is because these labs are not only very expensive to develop but are also very hectic to keep updated. On the other hand, it is not one of the best practices to release the final application after testing it on only simulators and emulators. So, the developers can find the balance in this segment with the help of cloud platforms.
Cloud platforms are one of the modern components of the application development market that help developers check the application’s working on hundreds of real smart devices available on multiple cloud servers. The developers can access these servers by paying only a minimal license fee. Cloud platforms also help developers to initiate testing processes from anywhere in the world. We can improve our knowledge of cloud platforms by considering LambdaTest as a central point:
To introduce this platform, LambdaTest is a cloud-integrated platform to perform secure cross-browser compatibility test cases on modern web applications. Cross-browser functioning has become one of the industry standards to ensure that your application is accessible to a wider audience base. This is because, with these test cases, the developers can ensure a stable performance irrespective of changes in the operating system or device version.
LambdaTest also enables parallel test execution to improve the efficiency of the test cases by almost 15 times. While using the automation testing platform, developers can initiate the test cases from different automation frameworks like Selenium, Playwright, and Cypress and can execute them on more than 3000+ different browsers. LambdaTest can also create dependable test results by integrating multiple results from hundreds of simulators and emulators and real smartphones.
So, we can see that if properly executed, end-to-end testing can improve an application’s quality. All the pitfalls discussed in this article can massively decline your testing standards and harm the application development process. So, automation testers need to avoid these circumstances at any cost. The developers should also consider the importance of multiple tools and platforms for conducting successful automated end-to-end test cases.
Lastly, this is very important for app development companies to spread proper awareness regarding the importance of end-to-end testing. This is because almost all experts predict that automation testing will become the future of the app creation industry.Spread the love